So recently I commented on a friend of mine – regarding the way he spends his money. Personally, I think he uses money as though his dad is Justin Bieber.
Okay, perhaps a little exaggerated – but that’s what I told him. Actually he has the spending power lah, just that I busy body say he should be saving instead.
So he dared me on a challenge, he challenged me to just spend RM50 in a single week. Can or cannot?
I answered “Yes!” immediately. Hence, the topic of this entry – Can you survive a week with only RM50?
So ladies and gentleman, here are ways to survive a week with just only RM50. Let’s start with the essential, food.
1) Eat proper lunch maximum at RM5/meal for 7 days = RM35. Strongly recommend economy rice.
Say “No” fancy classy food.
This plate of penis sausage and some vegetable could cost you up to RM20, or more! A big no!
2) For dinner, eat at least 2 pieces of Gardenia / High 5 buns. They cost RM0.60 per bun, which is RM0.60 x 2 x 7 = RM8.40.
Or simply just buy a loaf of wholemeal bread which can last you a week.
“Wah, sure starve like hell?!” you say? What to do, a challenge is a challenge mah. Furthermore, it already covers the food for a week.
3) Don’t buy snacks or tidbits. They are unnecessary, and unhealthy.
Try your best to eat home-made/cooked food. Or… make sandwiches, eat biscuits and worse come to worse, cup noodles!
Bought a pack of Chipsmore for RM3.00. Anyone want more chips?
4) Bring your own water with a water bottle wherever you go.
I bring my re-used Ribena bottle, and avoid ordering outside drinks. Water is enough – you don’t need 100Plus or Coke.
5) If you drive a car, pump full tank on the week before. So that it won’t affect the outcome of challenge week. (Yes, consider cheating but still – the challenge is 1 week only what.)
Besides that, try to avoid roads/highways with tolls.
But if you HAVE to pass a toll, get your passengers to pay and tell them “I’m the one driving what, I paid petrol wei!”. This should do the trick, no worries. ;)
6) On weekdays, just drive to work and back from work. Don’t go anywhere else.
7) Don’t look for entertainment. No heading to clubs, bars or fancy restaurants. No movies, no porn DVDs.
8) Learn to say “No. Not this week!”. In order to successfully achieve the target, thou shall not accept any “invitation that costs money” under any circumstances.
Yeah, talk to the hand. I mean, no. No… Whatever…
9) Only go to one shopping mall for the weekend and that should either be 1Utama (RM1 for first 6 hours) or The Curve (free parking at Tesco the whole day cause the parking ticket system is out of order).
When you’re there, just do window shopping. Do not shop for anything! Resist that temptation.
Or buy yourself a McDonald’s ice-cream which cost about RM1 only. Get 2 if you feel like satisfying your sweet tooth.
Don’t get the fries though. It’s expensive considering that you only have RM50 for a week okay.
10) Don’t use your phone to call or SMS anyone. Use Facebook instead. Write on their wall, send them direct messages or communicate anything online. Tweet or whatsapp them!
Use only the basic features when necessary! Treat it like some cheap phone with no Internet access, MMS and stuff.
Alright, by deducting the cost of lunch (RM35) , dinner (RM8.40), a pack of Chipsmore (RM3.00), parking at 1Utama (RM1) and 2 McD Ice-Cream (RM2.00), the total expenditure is… RM49.40!
I won the challenge! But no reward though. :/
Anyway, the best thing about this challenge is – You have a sense of accomplishment. You get to save extra money for the week. You feel richer… perhaps, an inch closer to being a millionaire!
But the bad thing about it is…
You get challenged again! *rawr*